Helvetas Intercooperation gGmbH is a German non-governmental organisation that is committed to improve the living conditions of disadvantaged people in developing countries.
Helvetas Germany works in Asia, Africa and Latin Amerika and contributes to poverty reduction in rural areas through targeted development projects. Our politically and denominationally neutral NGO lays particular emphasis on helping people to help themselves, promoting women and girls in particular, and encouraging sustainable natural resource management. Our core activities are improving access to clean water, food security, education and income generation.
Together for a better world
Our development projects are designed to improve the living conditions of women and men from disadvantaged communities in a direct and sustainable manner, to build capacities such that they can take control of their lives and to have the skills, resources and opportunities to secure a decent living.
Helvetas Germany works with disadvantaged and poor communities, therefore meeting people’s material needs remains central focus to our work. People ought not to suffer from hunger, should have access to clean water and sanitation, health care and schooling, be able to earn a decent living and live in suitable housing.
However, development is not all about quantifiable material results. We also campaign for better living standards, emancipation, political freedom, legal security and peace.
Our fundamental Values
- Our engagement is based on solidarity and partnership.
- We work towards achieving human rights and upholding the principle of self-determined development.
- We are committed to social equity and strive for equal opportunities for men and women regardless of age, origin, language, religion, culture or political convictions.
- Our collaboration with our partners is based on mutual respect for cultural values and principles.
- We stand for development that balances economic viability, environmental appropriateness and social benefit.